Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Model Failed

Our last class session we spoke about traffic modeling.  We discussed the numerous demand inputs that the models need to be able to analyze real world situations so that traffic routes can be determined.  This got me thinking about my daily commute home from work every day this past summer.  Below I have attached a photo of just a roughly one mile section of road that I had to drive.  My route took me from rt. 22 to rt 206/202 and then bypass over the Summerville Circle.  In the picture I have color coated the traffic congestion that I drove through.
Color description of Summerville Circle Delay Traffic at any given time of day.
This small, 1 mile section of two different highways usually took me at least 10 minutes on a good day and put me in many merging situations that almost caused crashes.  The traffic is entirely caused by back up at the Summerville Circle.  Despite the fact that I was not going on that circle, traffic going onto it was back up all the way to the beginning of the red line on rt. 22 as seen above.  Some people may say that an extra few minutes does not mean much.  But this is a huge problem.  The emissions out of each vehicle stuck in this traffic adds up, especially when there are several situations exactly like this on my route home alone.  Plus, time adds up.  The amount of time wasted in traffic is astronomical and needs to be changed.

My only question is, who modeled this?  Why should a someone who is not going onto a circle be affected by traffic that is back up on two different on/off ramps?  Upon further inspection most would notice that there is a free lane that travels around this traffic.  The problem is it also grinds to a halt because of the traffic in the lane next to it that is stopped as well as because of the many other drivers trying to merge in and out of it because of the off ramp to the circle.

I fully understand that traffic is always going to exist.  And in some ways I am sure that it is necessary.  But I do not understand how idiotic how a simpler solution to this could not be found in the complicated modeling process done to design roadways.

My question to everyone else is this.  How much time, money and effort should be spent on solving problems such as this?  Is there an economic benefit in doing so?  And do you think that enough people care?

1 comment:

  1. There is an economic benefit, in saved fuel, increased productivity et cetera. However the benefit of fixing these problems, or designer roads so they don't happen in the first place is generally less visible than the cost of fixing them. Perhaps the ASCE needs to hire a team of lobbyist. The fact is it is probably cost effective to fix problems like these, but someone will always call it a waste of money because they can't sea the benefit.
    As to why it was designed that way in the first place. I don't know but my guess would be it was the only way for the project to be on budget and a request for more money coupled with an analysis showing why was rejected.

    ReplyDelete